Our Mission & Vision:
- Have a Sunday worshiping community as large as God wants it to grow and to be thoroughly cared for.
- Have at least 70% of our adult congregation involved in a small group.
What we believe:
The following quote is from Rupertus Meldinius and was a value of the early church, which was woven into the fabric of John Wesley and his missionary movement.
In essentials – unity!
In non-essentials – liberty!
In all things – charity!
“If I hold in my hand not only all human knowledge, but also the very secrets of God and if I have the faith that can move mountains… but have no love, I amount to nothing!” I Cor. 13:2 (Phillips Translation)
At Faith Community Church:
- We believe in the Trinity and a personal, supernatural God who is Lord of all and who is at work in our world today.
- We believe that the most important thing in the world is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- We believe in the necessity of spiritual conversion evidenced by confession of sin, repentance and faith in Jesus Christ as the only way to fellowship with God.
- We believe in the empowerment of the Holy Spirit for effective Christian living and witness.
- We believe that the Christian life is characterized by the fruit of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness gentleness and self-control.
- We believe the Bible is God’s written word, given without error and uniquely inspired by the Holy Spirit. It is our written authority for all things necessary to salvation and Christian living.
- We believe that the best thing we can do for others is to guide them to a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- We believe that a Christian should live a life of integrity in order to reflect a Holy God.
- We believe in the sacredness of marriage between one man and one woman.
- We believe that whether people are married, single or divorced, they matter to us because they matter to God.
- We believe in the sanctity of human life.
- We believe in the importance of the local church to encourage, strengthen and assist every believer toward maturity in their spiritual life.
- We believe in the necessity of daily prayer and Bible study in order to understand God’s will for our lives.
- We believe that all persons are created in the image of God regardless of differences in sex, race or color.
- We believe in Biblical stewardship and the principle of the tithe but also do not want to make money our emphasis.
For a full description of our denomination’s distinctives, go to www.fmcna.org.
Looking Back: Our History
Faith Community Church was birthed in the minds and hearts of a few people within the Harrisonburg area in 2000. The first two years, it was merely a small group of people committed to meeting together each week to pray and study God’s Word.
However, in July of 2001, with 21 years of pastoral experience, Pastor Keith and Linda Hulton were appointed to move from Waynesboro to Harrisonburg where Keith became the church planter. Linda had already been employed at James Madison University Nursing Department for 4 years prior to their arrival.
The plan was to develop small groups of approximately 7-12 adults meeting in homes before launching a worship service so as to create a core of people from which to begin. As of April 17, 2011 we are in our new facility located on S. Main Street; this location is the former Roth 1-2-3 Theatre. Certainly the idea of planting this church in Harrisonburg has been something that has evolved over a number of years and we are very excited about the faith journey that God has led us on.
Faith Community Church seeks to be known for the spiritual impact that it makes by touching lives through the love of Jesus. Although Faith Community Church is very pleased to be part of the Free Methodist denomination, our focus will not be on a denomination but instead to hold high the saving message of Jesus through His Holy Word.